Follow Me On Twitter

Friday, January 20, 2012

True Mother-A Poem

From the motherland
I stand tall bronzed and proud

I am American, Yorubian, Ghanaian and African
Long neck, pierced nose, dove eyed with a warriors stride

Proud I am to be the Queen I am mother of all human life
Some other nations react to that with strife

but it is not in me to hate or envy
I had to be taught those characteristics because my birthmark is to be all that I can be

My lips are thick because I can speak life into a dying soul

my eyes are far apart to accommodate the pyramid, third eye that sees how to make my people whole

From the motherland I come to another land
Forced by a foreign hand
to be something that I am not

I see a statue in the middle of the sea
they say she represents liberty
but yet she looks nothing like me

I have built and planted and grown
Agriculture, architecture, medicine, but I have nothing here to call my own

My back is arched not because the great I AM made a mistake
but it is for the sake
of my children
for within my womb
I carried the universe, the sun the stars and the moon

Everything that is in America had a beginning
but the trophy was not given to the winning
instead we were told forty acres and a mule
I shook my head with my hands on my hips and thought to myself
"I ain't no fool."

No comments:

Post a Comment